Thursday, July 31, 2008

For The Mothers

For some reason this morning I'm feeling the weight of the tragedy that occured in our community this week. A young, talented, likeable 19 year old man was tragically killed in a car accident. Whenever these kinds of things happen in a small community like ours, the ripples (more like shock-waves) are felt through the whole community, whether you were aquainted with the family involved or not. In this case, I did know the family - though not well.

My association with the Cox family came through Little League baseball. For one brief season our families spent a lot of time together. The boys not only played on the same team during the regular season, but went on to the State Tournament in All Stars. Little League is a pretty accurate picture of parenting - good and bad. Parents that never come to games. Parents that come drunk. Parents that scream at the umpires, coaches and kids. I tell you - people's true colors come out down at Stan Hedwall park... Then there are the parents that teach their kids to win and lose well - who spend countless hours sitting on bleachers in the wind and rain and occasional sun - who run the concession stand and serve on the board and groom the fields. This was the Cox family.

I guess my sadness this morning stems from my memories of Tracy Cox. I watched her for years absolutely pour herself into her three boys. I can only imagine the ragged, gaping hole that has been torn in her heart. That suffocating, "I can't breath" kind of pain. I don't want to put myself in her shoes, but somehow I can. It's something no parent EVER wants to experience and most of us go through life thinking that we won't.

I'm thinking of all the times my boys or my daughter have left the house to the sound of my nagging and griping about a hundred insignificant things. About the times that I've overreacted, lashed out in anger and frustration. Not said the life-giving, affirming things they needed to hear.

So today, I'm going to tell them how much I love them. How thankful I am that God allowed me to be their mom. How proud I am - not just for their many accomplishments, but for the fantastic people they have become.

This life on earth is so short. Live fully today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen! We need to treasure in the words of the author Karen Kingsbury..the last time they needed us to burp them or the last time they let us hold their hand crossing the street At 42, I am so aware that being a mom of young children affords me the realization, time and life is fleeting. Our son suffers from asthma. Too many times we have come face to face with how dear life is when we have almost lost him. My heart goes out to those Moms and Dads who have lost their most beloved treasures, their children.

I found your blog through Beth Moore's blog. I have a blog over at Adventures as a Proverbs 31 Mommy

Enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing your heart.